BULATS is a flexible online tool that assesses English language skills for business, industry and commerce. It helps you develop a workforce that is confident communicating in international business environments. The test is administered through our network of authorised BULATS agents around the world. Key facts
BULATS’ modular format allows testing of all four language skills:
The Speaking test is taken on a computer, using a microphone. Answers are recorded and sent to examiners for marking.
In the Writing test, candidates have to write answers using a computer keyboard. Answers are recorded and sent to examiners for marking.
BULATS helps your organisation:
|Skills tested:||Reading and listening, speaking, and writing|
- Reading and Listening
|Length:||About 60 minutes|
|Number of parts:||7|
|Number of questions:||Varies|
|Length of texts:||Candidates read texts of about 250 words in length|
|Length:||15 minutes (5 parts)|
|Format:||Single candidate records answers.|
|Example Topics:||Buying and selling / environment entertainment of business clients / business travel human resources /training and development.|
|Part 1 (Interview)||Eight questions about the candidate and his/her background/work/future plans, etc. (e.g. What is your job?)|
|Part 2 (Reading Aloud)||Eight sentences to read aloud|
|Part 3 (Presentation)||A business or work-related topic (e.g. the perfect office) is given for the candidate to talk about for one minute. The candidate has 40 seconds to prepare.|
|Part 4 (Presentation with Graphic)||The candidate is given one or more graphics (e.g. pie charts, line graphs) with a business focus (e.g. company exports) to talk about for one minute. The candidate has 1 minute to prepare.|
|Part 5 (Communication Activity)||The candidate gives his/her answer to five questions related to one scenario (e.g. planning a conference). The candidate has 40 seconds to prepare.|
|Length:||45 minutes (2 parts)|
|Example Topics:||Buying and selling /products and services the office and general business environment entertainment of business clients /business travel human resources /training and development.|
|Part 1 (email)||The candidate types a short email of 50–60 words.|
|Marks in part 1:||One-third of the final Writing mark.|
|Part 2 (Long Text)||The candidate types a report or a letter of 180–200 words following instructions.|
|Questions:||One of a choice of two tasks must be chosen.|
|Marks in part 2:||Two-thirds of the final Writing mark.|
- become more competitive – it helps you develop a workforce with improved English skills, that can communicate effectively in international business environments
- recruit more efficiently by screening applicants’ language abilities
- know the strengths and weaknesses of your workforce
- Identify your training needs quickly and economically.
- Assess job applicants quickly, accurately, and affordably. Global companies including PwC, Mercedes Benz, Microsoft and Nestlé use BULATS for their recruitment.
- Select internal candidates with the right English language skills for placement in your overseas offices.
- It is a flexible test which you can use when and where you need it.